Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hypermenorrhea, Menorrhagia, Hasimoto's, and the Niacin Fix

I've found an important, if not THE important, tool in stopping hypermenorrhea and autoimmune attacks. I awoke bleeding excessively after spending the night in a new home. Because my throat hurt, I took niacin like I always do, a 100mg pill. That usually fixes the throat and adds warmth to my metabolism. But I didn't get the usual niacin flush after the first and my throat still hurt, so I took another. Then another. Still no flush. Over the day I took at least 500mg and never had more flush than a light localized rash on my arm.

But once the niacin started working, my throat stopped hurting as much and the bleeding reduced to normal! That's the first time in my life where I felt I had an answer to the hypermenorrhea that I've experienced my whole life. And since starting taking iodine, I believe that is the second day of my life of having normal bleeding! And it coincides exactly with treatment for autoimmune-- renewing my knowledge that I have Hashimoto's and verifying for the first time that it causes excessive bleeding! And that orthomolecular nutrition is VERY valuable. In this case, niacin.

--------

Of course, it's not all that easy. I took 900mg today in an attempt to slow bleeding unsuccessfully. Why? Because I didn't have enough tyrosine. Once I ate dinner all the niacin took effect at once! I can avoid artificial vit C to avoid inciting an autoimmune attack, but there are other substances to be avoided too. And beyond gluten=containing foods. There's something in my tea. Oolong, raspberry, chamomile, spearmint, and marigold.

No comments: